Translate

Translate

Sunday 18 September 2011

Shimming the Marilyn

I know, it's been so long since I posted anything about The Marilyn Suite, if you don't remember, the title makes it seem as if I'm doing something obscene with Marilyn.

I think the main thing is that I am getting the tenth board attended to.

Today, I shimmed it so that it'll stand out from the wall when it's hung. Because I am using the underside of the keyboard and I've mall all the keys stick out from the body, I needed to make sure that it would lay flush against the wall, hence the shims, which as you can probably tell are Popsicle sticks glued together.

Something else to note is the wooden surface with lovely grain upon which the board is sitting. This is one side of the kitchen table I've been working on since the beginning of August. I finished sanding it today and prepped it using a mixture of shellac and denatured alcohol. I have a warm gold-tone oil-based stain to apply once I get the other side and the leaf prepped.

Coming together!