Translate

Translate

Saturday 17 September 2011

Of Butterflies and Kings, Horses and Rings...but Mainly, NORTONS

Yes, on a beautiful fall day in the Gatineau, just across the river from Ottawa in the province of Quebec, the butterflies were out and there were many people driving vehicles that made them feel like they were kings of the road (fabulous book, btw), and there were horses dotting the countryside and rings, well, I'm not quite sure how rings fit in but NORTONS, I know how they fit in.

Today was the annual BBQ for the Norton Club of Ottawa and although I don't currently have a Norton, I have been a member of the club for more than 15 years. Whereas I don't get to all the monthly meetings, I always make this September BBQ in Wakefield, QC, and the Christmas Party at the Prescott Hotel.

You are probably wondering why I am talking about motorcycles instead of keyboards this evening. And you're right, I do not have a  photo of a keyboard to show but I do have photos of some of the motorcycles that were at the event this afternoon. These were the bikes that inspired me to do a Quirky B. several years ago, maybe two or three, which I designed with small motorcycles on a board, ostensibly outrunning the police. Yes, there was a police bike on the board and some kind of "Jap-Scrap" and I can't recall what else. I made the board as my contribution to the gift exchange and whereas others had wrapped mufflers and shims and foot pegs, a few motorcycle books, too, I decided to create a piece of art.

There are photos of this board on some disk, somewhere and as soon as I locate it, I'll post a picture.
In the meantime, feast your eyes on these Commandos...and an odd-ball Ural sporting a sidecar.