Translate

Translate

Thursday 4 July 2013

Beginning a New Guitar Case



These are clippings are almost as yellow in real life as they appear here.
This is because they are more than 60 years old! I've been keeping a small pile of yellowing newspapers from the early '50's for almost ten years. They were very musty when I first got them as they'd been used to line a trunk which had managed to get wet and had seen better, drier days  in the 1930's or '40's.

It is the advertisements that are fascinating and I plan to cover the old guitar case below with them. Decoupage makes it sound frilly what I am about to do. There is another word and when I come up with it, I'll let you know.

I tested the Chryco ad by concocting a white glue mix of 1/2 water, 1/2 glue. I applied this to a piece of hard cardboard and then brushed a layer of glue over top. Once this dried, I shellacked it as you can see below. I did the top half. Apparently, the idea is to add four or more coats of shellac or speciality medium to create an old look. This is going to be perfect for this case.