Translate

Translate

Sunday 15 September 2013

A Guitar Case Called "Woody"


This is going to look superb as a finished piece.  Who knew what loveliness lurked beneath the scarred, weathered and stained vinyl that enveloped this green-lined case.

I started to simply cut around the hardware, despite it being removable, and then I realized that removing it was the best thing to do. No residue. But it also meant using penetrating oil and brute strength to get the screws free.

I did not realize that a cardboard strip was under the vinyl along the band around the top to give a 3D effect. I am removing it using vinegar and then I use label remover to take away any tackiness or glue.

I am somewhat concerned about the rust on the hardware and will renew efforts to remove it. Nothing's going to make it perfect but it can be better than what it was.




Don't get excited. I didn't paint the canvas below. I bought it at last evening's Art Connexions. It's by Peter Akiki, something he did when he was involved in Art Battle earlier this year. It caught my eye as soon as I walked in the room. There were three others but I liked this one best of all. It speaks of the seamier side of parades, circuses and burlesque shows. Oh, and No Smoking. 

I think also, the label, Audrey Hepburn, drew me as I will be using a large photo of AH on one of the in-process guitar cases. As it turned out, this canvas was mislabeled but for me, the irony is too strong to ignore. Imagine little Audrey puffing on a butt like this.

"Audrey Hepburn" by Peter Akiki

Please don't forget THE COCK SHOW at the Automic Rooster at 303 Bank St, Ottawa, beside Foster's Sports. The Vernissage is Tuesday, September 17/13, 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. More than 40 artists have submitted work for this show. All are welcome!









And finally, the Eighth Annual Old Ottawa South Art and Music Festival is Saturday and Sunday, September 21-22. 9:00 am to 4:00 pm each day. I'll be at a booth that is by the music stage not far from the parking lot.

Check it out.   http://www.oosartandmusicfestival.ca