Tuesday, 30 August 2011

What I've Learned About Casting So Far

I learned not to put talcum powder in the mold. It degraded the plaster or perhaps the plaster could not get to the finger tips and my hand has truncated digits.

The photo on the right shows how fragile are the fingers. Three broke, including the thumb. I used Shoe-Goo to re-attach the segments but it doesn't hold well.

So I mixed up some plaster to do some repairs. This did and did not work. The plastic dried too quickly and I made a huge mess. However, in a panic, I added a little water to the almost-dry mess in the mixing container and to my amazement, it reverted to the soupy mixture that I needed.

However, as I was trying to smooth over the cracks and breaks, one finger let go on its own as per below right.

To the left is just a jumbly photo that makes the hand look as if it has a life of its own. Often, point 'n shoot cameras provide unusual, interesting results. Even if you think you can't make a shot, try. You might amaze yourself!