Translate

Translate

Saturday 8 May 2010

Monkey Business
















Do you recall what they used to tell us in high school, something called the infinite monkey theorem?

This states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Okay but I think my monkey is more interested in the repast provided and Shakespeare holds no lure.

Thus, he sits on the Keys to Happiness and thinks good thoughts about strawberries and bananas.

There was a bit of a mishap with the fruit in that some hungry ants infiltrated what was supposed to be a hermetically sealed bag protecting the board. They ate the sugarly insides of the strawberries leaving sagging husks. In order to get rid of the ants, I put the board outside on my back porch,  riffing on catch and release, and over night, some urban raccoons took delight in the candy bananas and decimated what was left of the installation. I was left with a denuded board.

I have always been reluctant to use edibles as decoration believing that food is too precious a commodity to be on display rather than on a plate for consumption.

I hoisted myself on my own petard.

Thank-you for sharing this experience with me.

Shannon Lee