Translate

Translate

Tuesday 18 June 2013

All Over the Map

From bird houses to guitar cases!

I should have taken a photo beforehand. On the left, is a secondhand guitar case that was showing signs of wear, especially the back which had scuffs and many scratches. 

It's the front that will be decorated but, as  Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi who designed the Statue of Liberty realized, the rear view had to look as good as the front.

So using black leather dye, I made the back look new.
The green masking tape is holding trim in place that I reglued. It had been held in place with several pieces of electrical tape. I would call that a "fix fail."

Interestingly, the secondhand case, a bargain at less-than-half price, is for an Epifone and indeed, should fit my guitar, however, if you look at the two of them side-by-side, the one bought today is slightly different. The neck is narrower, as well as the head. And the brass hardware is in a different position. The former owner said that he'd had the case for two years. I haven't tried my guitar in the new one but the interior is identical, a lovely dove-grey fake fur.

Hope to get a start on this one tomorrow. The other one, the one the former owner called a York model, I would like to do decoupage on using black and white photos from old magazines and newspapers. Guess I'll start looking for those.