Translate

Translate

Saturday 25 January 2014

Anchors Away

These anchors are going to be the secret weapon when I go to create a gallery on the sloping ceiling
once a few more things are in place. Let's pray that the drywall has been firmly attached to the plaster and lath, and maybe, just maybe, I'll find a stud or two. It's been a bit of a chore so far finding studs.


My apartment has mansard ceilings, what you'd expect to find in an attic apartment. It's not exactly the attic but it might as well be. There is only one wall without a sloping part to it and that is the yellow wall the book shelves are attached to. The windows start at neck level and go down to about a foot and a half above the floor. They admit scant natural light as there are buildings tight up against my house. One building is so close, you can reach out and touch it with a broom stick.



The ceiling has had no work done to it in nigh-on 35 years and wallpaper that was painted over for decades is cracking and peeling. I'm fine with painting but I'd rather not have to re-drywall the ceiling so will try to mask most of the imperfections by putting up art. I am getting ahead of myself and this won't be done until a great deal more work has taken place on arranging and rearranging.


My place could have looked like this but walls were erected stupidly in ridiculous places ( I know, redundant of me but you should see this apt. It's all but unworkable) and no one thought to put in skylights not to mention flooring.