Translate

Translate

Monday 6 January 2014

What We Used to Call a "Barn Find"

Cunning patent leather container. I knew it had to
hold something interesting.
 
Upon opening, quelle surprise!
Hadn't seen this camera in
at least a decade.


Dusty but all pieces in order. Needs a battery.
In the collector car/motorcycle world, it's what we used to call a "Barn Find".  Wikipedia defines Barn Find thus:

A barn find is a classic car or motorcycle that is discovered abandoned, usually in derelict condition. The term comes from its tendency to be found in places such as barns.


Under a lifetime of detritus, I discovered a 34-year-old camera, a Rollei 35 TE.



Nothing to do with barns in this case or even dilapidation. This camera works. I know, I had it fixed. The only thing is that the battery that powers the retractable lens has died. I was told to store the camera with the lens out and not retracted. I wonder if this was good advice. 


                                This Rollei is the second smallest camera built at the time.

The Rollei 35 TERollei Tessar 3,5/40mm

This is the Rollei 35 TE, produced by Rollei Singapore from November 1979 until September 1981. It was made with chrome, black and aluminium covers.
This model featured a meter with LED indicators in the viewer.
Camera weight is 330 grams with chrome and black covers, 305 grams with aluminium covers. Size 97x32x60mm.
The battery was moved from the film chamber to the top of the camera. From June 1980 the diaphragm dial had a switch lock.
Serial numbers were engraved in the film chamber and coded, starting at 4xx.xxx.xxx.
The Rollei 35 was delivered with lens cap, leatherette case, hand strap and multi lingual manual.


Something interesting about this camera. I tried to give it away a month ago. I wasn't sure where it was in but I knew I had it still and knew that I am not about to revert to single lens reflex, not given the benefits of digital photography. I admit, I have been spoiled.

I met someone at a photography exhibit and in conversation, he said he used strictly analogue equipment. I am forever willing to defer to someone else's collection and since I do not have a classic camera collection, much less using this particular classic camera, I thought I might offer it to the young man. He appeared to be around 30 years old, I think.

He accepted my email address but I never heard from him. Now, at the time, I could not recall the brand name of the camera, could not even describe it. Oh well, I suppose he didn't want any sort of free camera. Pity.