Translate

Translate

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Strung Out!

Better than being strung up!

I think I've run out of guitars and cases to show 'n tell about and since I
was riding the rails lo these past two days, I don't have any photos to share.

Guess what? I do have a photo to share. I call it, Still life with Lamp, Bullet and Michael Angelo. There's Munch in there too, along with a soft-case which holds a nylon-stringed acoustic guitar. Nothing with a note-worthy name, alas.

What is interesting about the bullet, to the right of the guitar case, actually, it is a shell, is that these are quite common and could be purchased for around $30 at Cohen and Cohen's, a scrap dealer here in Ottawa that has since closed their doors after decades of being in the biz.

I thought I had a one-of-a-kind curio but I noted an entire doorway full of these brass-based, honed wooden tip items a few years ago and was disappointed that there were others.

What these are, I believe, is they are replicas of actual shells, filled with cement so that they weigh the same and they were used in training exercises by the military.

At least, this is what I've been told.