Translate

Translate

Wednesday 4 December 2013

The Eyebrow Selfie - In the Beginning

There's always something new under the sun and for the next while, what's new and totally exciting is me growing out my eyebrows. It may already be apparent that my eyebrows were never meant to be on my face. They just never fit in.

My first clue came when I was a teenaged/twenty-something and people at meetings or in class or at a family gathering, well, they didn't actually point and guffaw but there was inevitably some comment made, some by complete strangers. In fact, most often by people I did not know.


Well do I recall that Friday in Sault Ste. Marie at an Academic Council meeting when a young professor elbowed me gently and tentatively asked, "Was it a BBQ mishap," and then pointing, "Your eyebrows?" By now, of course, he had everyone in the room's attention.

And yes, I'll admit, they were very odd, all uneven and spirally, not to mention unruly. Some of the individual hairs were so long, they caught in my eyelashes! But of course, my eyelashes were different then, too. Not too much one can do with eyelashes except lather on the mascara or have them dyed as a foundation for lathered-on mascara. But your eyebrows, here is a world of possibilities.

In today's photos taken roughly five days since I began this incredible marathon of hirsute self-enhancement, already, these furry miscreants are going out of the lines. 

The lines? These are the fake eyebrows I had tattooed on my forehead, oh maybe ten years ago, hoping to create a lovely frame for my face. Ummmm. Depending on how you look at it, there is a 50/50 chance that someone, anyone, even me, will say that the pain/gain was worth it or, conversely, it was a waste of time and money. 

What's highly amusing for me, although others may see it as tragic, is that one side appears to be coming in dark while the other side is bursting forth in pure white. Longer and thicker, too. Oh how I have yearned through the last decade to return to a lop-sided face. 

As for the side of my face, let's just say that my sideboards are blooming in snowdrop white, too. White hair, in all its coarse glory, is an impossible colour to get dye to stick to so for the first time since being a born-blonde blonde, I am going to let the frizzy frosties have their way. 

(Goodness, don't you just love, love, love that right-hand photo with all those little white sprigs, like so many needle-thin rocket ships, ready to blast off the surface of Pluto?)

Remember folks, you saw it here first.