I realize that this looks a bit like those popular candles...which is why this should be ragingly popular once I perfect the method. Cutting the art board with scissors wasn't the best idea. A sharp knife would have worked butter. I used a half-inch bit on an electric drill to make the holes and a clear silicone to glue the glass bits. Simple clear fairy lights provide illumination.
My original thought was to sandwich two with the lights in between so that it could be hung and enjoyed from any angle. However, how to disguise the inner workings from all sides. This problem exists no matter what as I'll have to come up with an idea on how to make the back look neat.
Something to ponder on the morrow.